For the 5th International Trans.History Youth Competition we invite students from Moldova, Ukraine, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia and the Czech Republic to send us their innovative and creative student projects in one of the three categories:
- Graphic novels
- Photo stories
You can choose between three thematic topics:
- „Well-known Jewish citizens of my country“
- „(Hidden) Jewish heritage of my region“
- „Righteous Gentiles* and the importance of civic courage“
* Those non-Jews who risked their lives to save Jews during the Holocaust. Their stories reveal what transforms people from bystanders into upstanders
- Watch, as a best practice example, the competition winners from 2016/17 and 2018/19: „Three synagogues“ (https://youtu.be/r7jIZyzf8fM) and „Testament of the righteous of the world“ (http://y2u.be/8ZoKXr_volg)
- Carefully read our guidelines, and follow them when making your film. Most importantly, keep in mind that your film must be between 5 and 10 minutes.
- Upload the movie on youtube.com or any other media platform
- Go to the project submissions page, send us a link to your movie on YouTube, your name, name of your teacher, school name and town.
Category: Graphic novels
- See three examples of best practice graphic novels: 1, 2 and 3.
- Choose a biography from the Centropa database (preferably from your country of origin) by clicking on „Interview database“ and Search „By country“. Review the biography and the existing photos for the biography that you chose.
- Create your graphic novel by focusing on the following points:
- Which parts of the biography are most important to you?
- How can you tell a memoir through a graphic novel?
- What will be the basis for your drawings (excerpts from the biography, family photos of the witness, or other sources)?
- Who are you making this for?
- What message (for example, on religious tolerance) do you want to convey to your audience?
- Go to the Submissions page, send us a link to your Graphic novel on any filesharing service, your name, name of teacher, school name and city.
Category: Photo stories
- See examples and tips for building a photovoice project in your community here.
- A. Create your own project on Jewish heritage by taking photos of a local Jewish cemetery, a (former) synagogue or other Jewish sites; find out the history behind these sites, and add them to your photos. B. Alternatively, search for photos and stories in the Centropa database (preferably from your country of origin) and create your own exhibition on Jewish life and history. You can even take photos of your grandparents and contrast them with photos of Jewish families from your country which you found in Centropa‘s database
- Go to the Submissions page, send us a link to your project on one of the file-sharing services, your name, the name of the school and town.
Do you have a question? Do you need help realizing your project? We are glad to share practical tips with you. Get in touch with us through our contact form, write a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or join our private Facebook Youth Competition group.
Please submit all your competitions entries through the „Project submissions“ page until March 3, 2020.
All projects will be reviewed by an international jury formed by six experts in audiovisual projects and Jewish history. All participants will be informed about the competition results by the end of March.
Jury members are:
- Ed Serotta, Filmmaker, book author & founder of Centropa, Vienna, Austria
- Petro Dolhanov, Historian, Rivne University, Ukraine
- Maximilian von Schoeler, Project manager Trans.History, Berlin, Germany
- Irina Shikhova, NGO Maghid, Moldova Jewish Heritage, Chisinau, Moldova
- Jacek Jaros, history teacher, Kielce, Poland
- Marie Krappmann, Kurt and Ursula Schubert Centre of Jewish Studies, Olomouc University, Czech Republic
Youth Competition Winners and Prizes
1st place: a gift card for electronic equipment for your school, value 400 EUR
2nd place: a gift card for electronic equipment for your school, value 200 EUR
3rd place: a gift card for electronic equipment for your school, value 100 EUR
Honorable mentions: cinema tickets
The winners will be invited to Lublin, Poland, where their projects will be presented during an official Award Ceremony on May 10, 2020. The winning projects will also be published online and shared with our global school network.
We are looking forward to your entries!
Your Trans.History team